Friday, February 10, 2012

Easing Back Into Running

It is not easy.  I have been confined to the gym for what seems like eons, so it is only natural that I want to jump back into running, especially since the weather is nice.  I know that would not be a wise decision, though, as my ankles are still tight, and my achilles still ache (a bit during) and certainly after a run.  I was restricted to the arc trainer for weeks because I pushed it too much, so I know that I have to ease back in.

So I decided not to go to the group run on Saturday.  I'm scheduled to get 16-18 miles in this weekend, and a 16 mile run with my awesome DFMC teammates and scheduled water stops sound like SO much fun, and a great way to see the miles fly by.  I know that with the condition I am in that I would be able to complete the 16 mile run, and I can't help but fly when I'm surrounded by people.  I also know that just like with the Derry race, the run would kill my achilles and I would be right back to square one.

Begrudgingly, I will continue to work indoors on Saturday.  I plan to run as far as I can without pain, and finish the workout on the arc trainer.  I hope to be good to go for the Old Fashioned Ten Miler next Sunday.  Since it is a flat course, and I've already completed 8 miles on the tread mill comfortably, I think that this is a perfectly reasonable goal.  Hopefully I can continue to see forward progress, and I'll be able to start adding some speed to meet some of my time goals for the marathon.  I am so worried that my teammates are going to pass me by, but I need to remember to be patient, and then and only then, I'll be back to 100% well before the marathon:)

No comments:

Post a Comment