Sunday, March 11, 2012

Recovery, More Race Pics, Goals, and Inspiration

Official Black Cat Pictures:




Rather than group the pictures at the beginning, I will disperse them throughout, just to mix things up a little bit.  After viewing these pictures, there are three things that I noted:

#1) Just because a running outfit is comfortable, does not make it flattering.
#2) I need to get out in the sun more.
#3) When running races, I need to start looking for cameras, so I can make sure I'm not making a terrible face!

I'm sure there will be more lessons learned as the season progresses!


Recovery and Results:

I was incredibly happy with Sunday's finish in the Black Cat race.  I felt like I paced it well - I still had gas in the tank at the end, and I know that I could continue running.  (My 20 mile time was 2:48:07.)  If I continued to run another 6 miles and completed a full marathon, my finish time would have been about 3:39, and since my goal is 3:40-3:45, I was incredibly happy with that result.  Who knows what will happen after another month of training (automatic qualifying for the 2013 marathon is 3:35)?  I was also happy with my overall finish.  I finished 15th out of 132 women in my age group (ages 30-39...the most competitive age group at the race.)  I know that I was not "competing,"  but it still feels good to see the results, and know that I am on track to meet my goal time!

After the Black Cat 20 on Sunday, I was nervous about recovery.  I know that I ran it as a training run, but it WAS 20 miles!  I did a short slow run on Monday, with a LOT of stretching.  I felt pretty good going into Tuesday's track workout.  In fact, I have been on a pretty intense "runner's high" since Sunday's race.  My husband told me that he thinks that I should go for 20 mile runs more often:)

Tuesday's track workout called for 8x1000 with a 400 recovery jog between each.  Jamie and I ran them together again, and we took it a bit easier than normal, based on our coach's advice.  Based on my marathon goal time, I wanted to keep them under 4:35.  Here are our splits:

#1) 4:31 
#2) 4:27 
#3) 4:31 
#4) 4:35 
#5) interrupted by a fire alarm, so we stopped the watch (no joke - we had to go outside and everything) 
#6) 4:34 
#7) 4:32 
#8) 4:19



We were happy to get the last one out of the way!!




Wednesday I planned to take the day off, but it was beautiful out.  Scout, Will, and I threw on some trail shoes, and went for a short run in the woods.  It was amazing to feel the spring weather!  


I brought my running clothes to school on Thursday, so I could get in a 10 mile run on the Newton hills.  I couldn't pass up over 60 degrees in March!  It was incredibly windy, so between the wind and the hills, it was a much more challenging run than I had planned on, but it was nice and warm!  Nothing like running in short sleeves, even as it gets dark!  The hills are getting easier, so I hope that bodes well for race day:)

Saturday's long run in Wayland was beautiful...and long (16.5 miles.)  We had a great DFMC turnout, and I got to catch up with a lot of great people.  It was the first long run that both Jamie and I were at together, so it DEFINITELY helped to have a running partner, especially one who is faster than me and will push me.  We killed our splits, running the second half faster than the first.  I was sore after, but glad that I got a good run in this week.  I'm going to TRY to take it easier next week in preparation for the NB 1/2 marathon, but I make no guarantees:)



Running Goals: 


I already talked a bit about my marathon goal earlier in this post.  With my injuries in January / February, I was afraid that I was going to have to re-adjust.  I seem to be slowly but surely getting back on track.  I had totally counted out the possibility of qualifying for the 2013 Boston Marathon.  Even though it is still faster than my goal pace, I seem to be inching closer to it.  With under 6 weeks to go until race day, we'll see where I'm at.


Sunday the 18th is the New Bedford 1/2 Marathon.  This year will be my 3rd time running this race, and the first time that I am really prepared.  After seeing some of the amazing times that many of my DFMC teammates posted two weeks ago at the Hyannis 1/2 Marathon, I am excited to run it and see what kind of time I can post.  My 13 mile split during the Black Cat 20 miler beat my 1/2 marathon PR from the Maine 1/2 Marathon by about 3 minutes!  We'll see how it goes!  I just hope that I don't go out too fast and blow it!!




Fundraising Goals:


Our big fundraiser right now is our t-shirt fundraiser.  T-shirt orders need to be in by March 15th!  They are only $15 apiece, and you can add the name of anyone you would like to honor on the back.  We already have over 40 orders placed, with 7 days to go!  Get your order in now!




Inspiration:


I have found this experience to be one of the most inspiring experiences of my life.  This is not only due to the training and the generous support of my friends and family, but also to the amazing people that I am continuing to meet through DFMC.  To give you a glimpse of what it is like, I am going to continue to post bios and links to my teammates' blogs.  The people I run with show everyday what it really means to live life, and I want to share their stories with you.




Greg started running the marathon last year to support his daughter, Charlotte. Charlotte was your average two-year-old when she was diagnosed with stage IV neuroblastoma in June of 2009.  Despite extensive chemotherapy, radiation, and bone marrow transplants, Charlotte's little body couldn't handle it, and her cancer relapsed.  She lost her battle this past December at the age of 5.  


Greg, already an active participant on the DFMC team, did not stop running.  He is using his training to help him get through her passing, and is hoping that the money he raises will help to find a cure and prevent other families from suffering in the same way.  He also started a road race that is run in his hometown of Braintree.  Proceeds from the race go directly to Dana-Farber to fund neuroblastoma research and to support the families of children with this terrible disease.






I met Giles on our very first group run.  Well...I didn't actually meet Giles.  I stared at his back the entire time, trying to make sure that he stayed within sight, so that I didn't get lost on our ten mile trail run.  When we got back and logged into DailyMile, we realized that we were running with each other the entire time, so we officially introduced ourselves at the second group run.

Giles is running for more than one reason.  He didn't become a runner until June of 2010.  He wanted to get in shape, cut back on his drinking, and cope with the loss of his mother.  He didn't know where to start, so a friend recommended the "Couch to 5k" plan.  He ran every day, and didn't miss a workout.  Running became a release.  In July of 2010, he quit drinking, set higher goals for himself as a runner, and has never looked back.

Running has become a central part of Giles' life.  He went beyond the 5k to complete a 10k, and then a 1/2 marathon.  When 2011 rolled around, he found out about the DFMC, and he knew that running for Dana-Farber made perfect sense.  He had started running to deal with his mother's death, so it only made sense to raise money in her name as he attempted his biggest race to date.  In under two years, he went from sitting on the couch to running the Boston Marathon (at an impressive pace!)  He shows that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.



Coming Up:

New Bedford 1/2 Marathon results, final t-shirt numbers, training updates, and more in my next posting! Thank you for all of your support!  We ARE making a difference!!



No comments:

Post a Comment